What will you learn?
- 1st week: Observing Phaco and performing SICS
- 2nd week: Phacoemulsification surgery under supervision
- 3rd & 4th week: Independent surgery and instructions on phaco machine maintenance by faculty from Aravind's Instrument Maintenance Department
This course is open to all practicing ophthalmologists.
Aravind Eye Hospital, Madurai
Aravind Eye Hospital, Tirunelveli
Aravind Eye Hospital, Coimbatore
Aravind Eye Hospital, Pondicherry
- Qualified practising Ophthalmologist with MS / DO degree from recognized university with 3 years’ experience in IOL surgery.
- Candidates from other developing countries are also eligible, subject to fulfilling the procedural formalities of Medical Council of India.
- Candidates will need to apply in the prescribed application form and will be admitted after scrutinizing their credentials and certificates.
- Aravind Eye Care System has trained thousands of ophthalmologists worldwide in IOL microsurgery by conventional ECCE and SICS techniques.
- To keep pace with current and future trends Aravind is now conducting a short term training programme in phacoemulsification for practicing ophthalmologists.
- The aim is to train candidates in phacoemulsification surgery as well as in the maintenance of phaco machines.
Where to stay?
Accommodation and Food:
Inspiration – Aravind international trainee’s hostel is a comfortable and quiet place located close to the LAICO and Aravind Eye Hospital campus. Please see the brochure for Tariff details.
How to pay?
Course fee covers tuition fee and teaching materials. National candidates can pay online on receipt of invoice along with the confirmation / appointment letter. International candidates can pay through wire transfer; the account details along with the payment procedure will be emailed to you by the course coordinator on confirmation of your admission.
Campus life at Aravind:
We recommend that all trainees take a look at Vanakkam – as guidebook to Southern India and Aravind. As you prepare for your travel to India and to the Aravind destinations, ‘Vanakkam’ will provide you with detailed information on what to expect when you arrive. This includes travel arrangements, dress code, living conditions, local weather and local food, as well as information on sightseeing and restaurants in the cities where the Aravind facilities are located.
For International Candidates:
A Visa is necessary to travel to India. As your visit to India is for undergoing training, you must obtain student /entry / internship visa (based on the duration of your training). It is advisable to get visa for the entire training period even before arriving in India. Extension of visa while undergoing training is not possible. Tourist visa is strictly prohibited.
On arrival at Aravind:
The FRRO (Foreigners Regional Registration Office) registration formalities will be done as per the instructions given on your visa page. For registration purpose, the participant should have their four passport size colour photographs (4×4 cm with white background, ears distinctly visible without spectacles and cap). If required, documents should be presented to the local police commissioner office in person. Please refer registration guidelines for more details.