What will you learn?
- Assess the magnitude of global and local eye care problems and their implications
- On the management side, the course also addresses how to:
- Identify gaps in service, then estimate resource availability and requirements to fill those gaps
- Employ problem solving techniques with programme partners
- Understand challenges specific to eye care in programme development
- Foresee programme issues and actively manage change
- Describe the core concepts and strategies in the design and delivery of eye care services
- Employ information technology to improve planning
- Use evidence to prioritise needs during programme planning
- Create an enabling environment for partner institutions
- Conduct monitoring and evaluation using various methods
- Network and build alliances to enhance programme impact
- Apply principles of financial management and grant monitoring
Senior level programme staffs of Government, NGO and International NGOs in Eye care.
Preferably below 50 years of age
Lions Aravind Institute of Community Ophthalmology, Madurai
- Participants need to be nominated either by their own organization or by the funding agency.
- This course is designed for professionals engaged in eye care programme development, planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, or funding, whether as part of the government, a funding agency, or an international organisation. You are an ideal participant if you have a background in health or programme development and are newly entering eye care or if you are an eye care professional taking on programme management for the first time.
- As the course will be presented in English, all applicants will be expected to communicate effectively in English.
This two-week course enables programme managers and grant making non-profits and foundations to understand the scope and priorities of eye care service delivery around the world. It enables these managers to make informed strategic decisions about the programmes that they financially support by training them about needs-centric programme design, tailoring service to specific populations, and managing change as programmes grow.
Where to stay?
Accommodation and Food:
Inspiration – Aravind international trainee’s hostel is a comfortable and quiet place located close to the LAICO and Aravind Eye Hospital campus. Please see the brochure for Tariff details.
How to pay?
Course fee covers tuition fee and teaching materials. National candidates can pay online on receipt of invoice along with the confirmation / appointment letter. International candidates can pay through wire transfer; the account details along with the payment procedure will be emailed to you by the course coordinator on confirmation of your admission.
Campus life at Aravind:
We recommend that all trainees take a look at Vanakkam – as guidebook to Southern India and Aravind. As you prepare for your travel to India and to the Aravind destinations, ‘Vanakkam’ will provide you with detailed information on what to expect when you arrive. This includes travel arrangements, dress code, living conditions, local weather and local food, as well as information on sightseeing and restaurants in the cities where the Aravind facilities are located.
For International Candidates:
A Visa is necessary to travel to India. As your visit to India is for undergoing training, you must obtain student /entry / internship visa (based on the duration of your training). It is advisable to get visa for the entire training period even before arriving in India. Extension of visa while undergoing training is not possible. Tourist visa is strictly prohibited.
On arrival at Aravind:
The FRRO (Foreigners Regional Registration Office) registration formalities will be done as per the instructions given on your visa page. For registration purpose, the participant should have their four passport size colour photographs (4×4 cm with white background, ears distinctly visible without spectacles and cap). If required, documents should be presented to the local police commissioner office in person. Please refer registration guidelines for more details.