eyeTRAIN reaches its destination!
LAICO, December 6-10
For the first time, LAICO conducted the eyeTRAIN online conference exclusively focused on training of allied ophthalmic personnel (AOP).
eyeTRAIN was a juncture that brought together eye care training institutions from across the globe, to showcase best practices and resources for AOP.
Although the conference had a focus on AOP training, it received over 90 submissions for the competitions: It received 43 abstracts for the paper presentation competition, 45 videos and 7 simulation models. 15 of 43 abstracts were shortlisted by the Jury and they were invited to present online. Guest lectures were one of the highlights of this conference.
Winning videos and simulation models were screened online and for Paper presentation competition, the conference had ‘TOP 5 Best Paper Awards’. Five of Aravind staff bagged prizes in this conference.
Top 5 Best Paper Awards:
- “PAL lens measurement skill evaluation to check competency using rubrics” – Jasmin Modi, Hari Jyot College Of Optometry, Navsari
- “Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) – a novel assessment tool for Vision Center AOPs” – Dr.Aswin PR, Aravind Eye Hospital, Kovilpatti
- “Flipped Classroom Model – An Effective Way to teach Allied Ophthalmic Personnel” – Renuka, Aravind Eye Hospital, Coimbatore
- “3D Printing Models for Enhancing Learning through the Concept of Puzzle Assembly – A Comprehensive Self Learning Tactile Tool Kit “ – Dr.Prasanna Venkatesh Ramesh, Mahathma Eye Hospital Private Limited, Tiruchirapalli
- “Orthoptic training program at Aravind Eye Hospital” – Muthulakshmi R, Aravind Eye Hospital, Madurai
Best Video Awards:
- “An account of AOP’s role in assisting in cataract phacoemulsification surgery” – Sangeetha V, Aravind Eye Hospital, Chennai
- “Auto-edging progressive lenses” – Sudha P M & Ramapriya A, Aravind Eye Hospital, Madurai
- “Basic Life Support” – Dr. Archana Bhargava, L V Prasad Eye Institute
- “Administration of Eye Drops & Ointments” – Sreelakshmi Varada, L V Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad
Best Simulation Model Award:
- “3D Augmented Reality Eye Simulation Models” – Dr.Prasanna Venkatesh Ramesh, Mahathma Eye Hospital Private Limited, Tiruchirapalli
Final Evaluation – CBM Multi-year Service Delivery Project
Upon request from CBM, LAICO did the final evaluation of multi-year service delivery projects in five of its partner hospitals. The purpose of the evaluation was to assess whether the project has achieved the set broad objectives during the past 5 years phase and to document particular areas where the project has been particularly successful or challenging.
Findings from the evaluation will contribute to project learning as the project considers planning for the second phase beginning in January 2022.
As part of the evaluation, the following staff from LAICO visited various hospitals in the last week of December 2021.
- Suresh Kumar – NBJK – Lok Nayak Jay Prakash Eye Hospital, Dumka, Jharkand
- Yesunesan – Ruby Nelson Eye Hospital, Jalandhar, Punjab
- Syed Ali – Sewa Sadan Eye Hospital Trust, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
- Ganesh Babu – Srikiran Institute of Ophthalmology, Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh
- Mohammed Gowth – Dr Shroff Charity Eye Hospital, Saharanpur, Uttar Pradesh
Abuja, Nigeria, October 19-December 15
Mr.Vikky Kumar, Manager, Aravind-Tirunelveli visited Tulsi Chanrai Foundation Eye Hospital in Abuja. He spent about two months in the hospital helping the team there to implement various administrative procedures towards ensuring the smooth patient flow and day-to-day activities.